How to save your ship design
- Click the little '...' button on your ship's info panel.
- Select "Save Ship Design".
- Type in a name for your ship.
- Click "Save Ship".
Saved ship files are usually located in Documents\My Games\Cosmoteer\Saved Ships.
WARNING: Ship save files are saved as literal PNG image files with a ".ship.png" extension. The actual data for the ship is stored in the image pixels. Do not resize, crop, or in any other way modify the contents of the PNG file; doing so will almost certainly destroy the ship data and prevent the ship from being loaded. (Renaming it is fine as long as you keep the ".ship.png" extension.
You can also access this folder by clicking the '...' button in the top-right of the ship dialog and selecting "Open Folder".
You can send your ship save files (ending with a ".ship.png" extension) to your friends or post them online. (Some image-hosting websites, such as Facebook, will resize the image and destroy the ship data. Imgur and Twitter seem to work fine, though.)
How to share your ship design on this forum
- Start a new topic (in the Ship Designs sub-forum, please) or reply to an existing topic.
- Click the "Attach Image" button in the post window.
- Navigate to your Saved Ships directory (Documents\My Games\Cosmoteer\Saved Ships) and select a ship file to share.
- Wait a few seconds for the ship file to be uploaded to Imgur.
- Markdown code for the image will be inserted into your post. It will look something like this:
- Tell us what's cool about your ship and submit your post!
WARNING: Imgur, the website that stores the ship files, will sometimes automatically convert them to JPEGs if they are too large, which corrupts the ship file and prevents the game from loading them. This mostly only seems to happen with ships that are much larger than the standard grid size. If this happens to you, create an account on Imgur and upload your file directly there while logged in to Imgur, then post a link to the file here on the forum.
How to play with other players' ship designs
There are two ways to download another player's ship design that they've posted on this forum or anywhere else on the web.
OPTION 1: Download the image file
- Right-click on the image of the ship and select "Save image as".
- Save the image into your Saved Ships directory (Documents\My Games\Cosmoteer\Saved Ships). Make sure you save it with a ".ship.png" extension; if it's just ".png" then Cosmoteer won't load it.
- The ship will now be available under "Saved Ships" in CreativeMode or to purchase in Standard Mode.
OPTION 2: Drag-n-drop the image file into Cosmoteer
- Start up Cosmoteer and make sure you're playing in "Resizable Window" mode in the settings. (It also helps to disable the "Trap Mouse Cursor" interface setting.)
- Start a new (or load an existing) Creative Mode game. (This won't work for Standard Mode games.)
- Click, hold, and drag the image file directly from the web browser into Cosmoteer. After a few seconds, the ship should load and you should see its blueprints at your mouse cursor.
- Click to place the ship into the game. (You may have to click a couple times.)
Note that this ship still isn't "saved" to your computer. You'll need to explicitly save the ship design using the above method if you want to keep it.