Glad I finally be able to upload these. 😃
Ok, so above is one of my very first fighters based on the Starfury Aurora fighter in the movie Babylon 5 (Built in 2/2021 - a few days after getting Cosmoteer). I know she is kind of ugly and don't look much like the version in the movie, and even functions terribly. Here is a brief description:
- Her only strength is the great speed and agility.
- Exposed shield - an easy target for EB.
- Wasted money on engine rooms.
- Terrible fire power.
- Under-protected main engines.
- And you can see there are some useless corridors, just for completing the shape.
This is my second design (actually i've built and rebuilt nearly 12 times, but I'm choosing the first one that has major improvements), and she was my pride.
- Protected shield.
- Better look (to my eyes 🙂).
- Better fire power (still not good, but decent).
- Separated reactors: so if one explodes, half of the ship (including shield and CR) still fight.
- Over protected reactors -> heavy, expensive.
- Overly armored make her speed and agility drop significantly.
- Shield and weapons do not perform at their best since they are far away from power sources.
And now to my latest design of the Starfury. She's perfect to my eyes (maybe because I've been working with the Fury for over 6 months and developed a strong bond with her).
- Good speed and agility.
- 2 small reactors are now turn into one medium -> more power.
- Double fire power from the previous version.
- Well armored: Any stray shots (from almost every angle) would have a hard time hurting her innards.
- Beautiful and Neat.
- Frontal shield and armor can't withstand a burst of damage.
As long as the overall shape is symmetrical, I somehow find asymmetric designs really charming. Pls feel free to share me your vanilla design-evolution, I really like to see how our building skill improves overtime.